Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Project H.O.M.E. Jupiter, Florida

By Kathy Peterson Inspired

Now sit back, close your eyes and imagine -----one day you finally purchase your very first home. Then suddenly, 6 months later, you loose everything from fire and smoke. Everything, your furniture, clothing, computers......everything.

That's exactly what happened to a family of 6 in Jupiter, FL. Luckily, only 3 rooms were destroyed from the fire, but unfortunately, the AC unit was on and the heat and smoke from the flames came into every room melting mirrors and raising havock on all the walls, ceiling, and destroying furniture, etc.

Okay--so I have a big journey ahead of me, gathering sponsors for furniture, carpet, linens, ---you name it--- . But I know I can do it.

My project is a big blank slate. 9 rooms. Yes--9 rooms.
3 Bedrooms, Living room, Kitchen, Dining room, Home office, 2 baths and Foyer. But things are coming together as I've gathered about 10 national brands to lend their helping hand through product donations.

With the national outreach I've been doing, sponsors are coming in to help make over this family's home. Furniture will be the biggest challenge as 7 of the rooms need to be refurnished.

With the help of my friends from Jupiter First Church, we've been able to replace drywall, prime some of the walls to get the smoke out, and scrap the ceilings. But much more progess needs to be done.

I think next week I'll be able to gather the kids and help empower them by teaching them how to sew and craft decor for their rooms. The house finally has electricity so we'll be making colorful quilts for the 2 girls ages 16 & 15 ---thanks to my friend Amy Butler who is a fabulous fabric designer, then moving on to making window treatments, pillows and more. The 2 boys ages 14 & 6 are in store for a really hip room that promises to be the coolest on the block!

I'll keep you posted as time permits but I feel confident that I'll be able to pull the whole house together for a beautiful and cohesive look within the next few months-----making life just a little better for this deserving family.

FYI: Furniture and home accessory manufacturers! I need your help!

Stay inspired! Kathy Peterson Inspired http://www.kathypeterson.com/

No comments: